Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A Halloween List

I'm taking my sister trick-or-treating tonight. About a week ago, she showed up at my bedroom door, and, with a very hopeful expression, asked me, "Dana, will you take me trick-or-treating on Halloween? I want to go with Gordon and Alex, or maybe Madeline and Peter, I don't know, but could you please, please come?"
Of course I said yes.

I wasn't going to wear a costume, but my best friend reminded me not to slip too early into adulthood. A trip to Walmart yesterday produced a $7.50 t-shirt and a 93¢ tube of lipstick. I'm going to be Batman.
My mum said, "....Isn't Batman...a man?" Yes. And no, I am not. But I will look just as sharp while defending Gotham City.

When I was little, my mum always used to make me sit down and eat dinner before we went out on Halloween night. It was the hardest thing, because I was never hungry, and too excited to eat even if I had been. I never much enjoyed talking to strangers, but I liked getting candy, and seeing my friends, and dressing up. I liked the post-pillage inventory, when we'd dump all the candy out on the living room floor and sort it into piles. I used to be able to make it last until Valentine's day.

This Halloween should be good. I'm in the right mood. My siblings have promised to share their candy.  We carved pumpkins last night. My costume is tops. You should come over. We can trade mini Twix and watch old Scooby-Doo episodes. Stay up late and wait for the Great Pumpkin. It will be fun.
Happy Halloween:)

{Costume inspiration}

[This is terribly written. I had a killer test today, and not enough sleep last night. But I'm sorry. Thanks for understanding:]

No comments: