Saturday, October 27, 2012

the obligatory mention of how much I love October

Somehow I've gone twenty-seven days without writing an ode to October. That might be unprecedented! But tonight the sky is pale pink, and I'm sitting on my deck, on a bench covered with leaves. The light in my neighbor's window just came on. The air is cool, but not cold yet. It's peaceful. I think I'm happy.

I was lonely this time last year. I was thinking about that today, remembering the ghosts that used to walk at my shoulder and ride shotgun in my car. But a year is a long time. I'm not a different person now, but I know a little more. 

And this autumn has been treating me well! Sure, there's been a few scares, a lot of stress, a little sadness. But there's also been a lot of honesty. A lot of late-night phone calls, of the best kind. There's been more writing. Less struggling.

I don't have a closing thought. All that I'm trying to say is that it's October. Good things happen sometimes when you aren't expecting them. And I'm glad to be alive.


{This is my view.}

No comments: