Wednesday, August 11, 2010

summer days and old art

Oh! that beautiful midsummer sun here. It beats down on one's head, and I haven't the slightest doubt it makes one crazy. But as I was so to begin with, I only enjoy it.
~ Vincent van Gogh, Letter to Emile Bernard in 1888

That's my favorite summer quote. :) Van Gogh's pretty interesting, the way he mixed the dark Dutchness and the more impressionistic Frenchness into his own special blend of weirdness. He painted some really nice stuff, like this:
And this (which is my favorite):
(Then, of course, there's this, which brings his overall sanity into question.)
His art isn't really pretty, the way Renoir's is, but it has an edge to it. Honestly, I like him mostly because of that quote :)

This is a great part of the summer, because the temperature is finally dropping (after all this evilly hot weather) and there are still just enough days left before school starts to fully enjoy them. Oh yes, I have big plans. :)
Carpe diem!

No comments: